My Photo Name:Katie
Location:
San Diego, California, United States
View my complete profile



Friends
Yvette
Sean
AmberLynn
Adelaide
Amy
Lisa
Amber



Links
Friends and Families
My Veg*n Blog

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Previous Posts
Oh the joys of a two year old
Do you want to know what makes me insanely happy?
Wow, that last one was long
Random funnies from the past
Being a mom is hard work!
Pretty in Pink
Fourth Grade!
Missing them
So in love
Who says we have to be strong?



Sunday, August 26, 2007

It sure would be nice if my husband came home

So, it's 11:53 pm on a Sunday night. Where is my husband? Why, the same place he's been until all hours of the morning/night almost every night for the past couple of weeks...at work. I swear I'm going to buy him a little futon to set up in his cubicle. Then he wouldn't even have to come home. He could just work until he fell asleep, wake up and work some more. That seems to be his intent lately anyways. :( He has a deadline looming (or it may have already passed...I'm not quite sure. He hasn't been around enough lately for me to ask him) so I understand that he needs to work until he gets it done, but that doesn't make me miss him any less. :( The other day he told me, "Now I understand why marriages don't last when one of them works this many hours." Ummmm...yeah.

I really shouldn't be complaining. My sister and sister in law both live with their husband's being away five days a week. I don't think I could do it. Or perhaps I could...it was kind of nice when Drake was traveling a lot for business. lol He'd be gone a week or two, then be home for a couple of days before leaving again. Those few days he was home were SO nice! He was SO happy to be home that the whole house just functioned better. He was the "fun" dad and there was no stress or unhappiness at all for those two to three days! With the insane hours he's been working lately though, he's so tired that when he's home and the kids are awake, he's just constantly yelling and in a bad mood. He had the "day off" on Friday (meaning he didn't go into work until about noon) and he spent the whole time we were both home complaining and being pissed off because I couldn't cuddle on the couch with him the whole time. He couldn't seem to understand that his thirty minutes of downtime didn't mean that I could have thirty minutes of downtime at the exact same time. I had lunches to make, a baby to nurse, fights to break up, kids to take care of. It wasn't that I didn't want to spend time with him. It was that in those thirty minutes, I just couldn't. I sat with him for as long as I could, but the family's whole life can't just stop because he decides to be home for thirty minutes.

When he comes home at night/in the morning, he's so tired that he just falls asleep, then wakes up a few hours later, goes back to work and starts it all over again. He actually did stay home yesterday. We took the kids to tae kwon do, then he was supposed to take the kids swimming. He promised the kids a "super fun day," and he promptly fell asleep after getting home from tae kwon do. This left me to deal with kids who are stuck at home, disappointed because yet again they don't get to spend time with their dad, and being yelled at because he's trying to sleep on the couch and they're being...well, they're being kids and talking/laughing/screaming, etc. Here they were expecting to spend some quality time with him and have a "super fun day," and instead, they just got an even more upset than usual dad who they felt would rather sleep than spend the very little time that he was actually home, with them. To his credit, he did eventually wake up and take them swimming for a couple of hours. They LOVED it. He even stayed up late to spend some time with me after the kids went to bed. Unfortunately, after a long day of rowdier than normal kids and a baby who kept me up much of the night before, I was so tired that I could barely keep my eyes open. If our marriage survives this, it will be stronger because of it.


link | Katie posted at 11:54 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?