My Photo Name:Katie
Location:
San Diego, California, United States
View my complete profile



Friends
Yvette
Sean
AmberLynn
Adelaide
Amy
Lisa
Amber



Links
Friends and Families
My Veg*n Blog

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Previous Posts
It sure would be nice if my husband came home
Oh the joys of a two year old
Do you want to know what makes me insanely happy?
Wow, that last one was long
Random funnies from the past
Being a mom is hard work!
Pretty in Pink
Fourth Grade!
Missing them
So in love



Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Come on people, your kids POOP in them!

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but in case I haven't, we use cloth diapers. (well, not WE...I don't, but my kids that are in diapers do) So anyways, Allie is outgrowing the small diapers (the little chunky monkey that she is :D ) so I need to go buy larger diapers. They're fairly expensive new, so I try to buy them used, if possible. (They get washed...get over it!) So, anyways, I went to Diaper Swappers, which is where most people go to buy and sell used cloth diapers and started looking through their "For Sale or Trade" section. People are CRAZY when it comes to cloth diapers. I swear, if you don't email the person within MINUTES of them putting up what they have to sell, you miss out.

Now, here's the part that gets me...some people pay up to $200 for a single diaper! Come on people, your kid POOPS in these things! Yes, they're cute. Yes, they're soft. Yes, they're apbsorbant, but $200?!?!??!?! Granted, that's not the norm. They usually cost between $10-$30 for a used diaper.

The worst part of it all is that I have the desire...nay, the NEED...to buy these cute diapers. I have no idea how well they'll work, but I NEED them because they're adorable. I NEED to spend $30 on something that some OTHER kid has pooped in so that my child can poop in it. I NEED to sit at my computer stalking these online stores, just waiting for them to stock new diapers so I can buy them before some other insane diaper crazy lady beats me to it. *Refresh* *Refresh* *Refresh* YES....A NEW DIAPER HAS BEEN STOCKED!!! *Clicks on "purchase" button* DANG IT...SOMEONE ALREADY BOUGHT IT!!!!!! *Refresh* *Refresh* *Refresh* It's an illness.


link | Katie posted at 3:12 PM |


5 Comments:
Blogger Sean commented at 10:15 AM~  

I don't have any kids that I know of, so I am a little dumb when it comes to this area, but $10 for 1 diaper??

Also, coming from the technical end of my brain, how do you wash cloth diapers. I know in the olden days they washed them out in the river or the crik. You're not using the LA aqueduct, are you?

Blogger Katie commented at 12:04 PM~  

$10 for one diaper is on the cheap end. But, you have to figure that my child will probably use a total of 60 cloth diapers in her lifetime. That's a total of $600 spent on diapers until potty training (on the cheap end, anyways). If I sell them to other people after I'm done with them, I can expect to make about 7 of those 10 dollars back, making my net total $180. A child who potty trains around three years of age will have cost about $2600 in disposable diapers.

Consumer reports estimates that the most inefficient washer and dryer costs about 78 cents per load. I wash my diapers three times a week. That's less than three dollars a week in energy, water and detergent. Add that to the net cost of the diapers and you're looking at $648 in diapers, energy, water and detergent. Almost $2000 less than the CONSERVATIVE estimated cost of disposable diapers.

Plus, I save money in diaper rash cream because children in cloth diapers get fewer diaper rashes, and I'm saving space in our landfills, reducing the contamination of our groundwater and as an added bonus...the diapers are darn cute! lol

Blogger Katie commented at 12:05 PM~  

Oh, and we're fresh out of cricks here in suburban San Diego. I have to settle for my washer and dryer.

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 2:21 PM~  

Umm...Okay - I'll admit that I'm stupid when it comes to this...but like last week I put a pair of pants in the washer and I put a pen in there as well. It turns out that doesn't go well. I got pen all over my jeans.

How do you wash diapers with crap all over them in the washing machine? Doesn't the crap go every where?

(I'm so glad we are such close friends - that we can have conversations like this.)

Blogger Katie commented at 7:38 PM~  

When you think about it, your clothes are pretty much bathed in whatever filth was on them when you put them in the washer. lol That's why I personally don't take baths...who wants to sit in their own filth? Gross. That's pretty much off topic and in need of it's own blog post of it's own. lol

Anyways, I rinse off the diapers before I wash them. Then, they're washed with a bit of tea tree oil, which is a natural antibacterial.

Want to Post a Comment?