My Photo Name:Katie
Location:
San Diego, California, United States
View my complete profile



Friends
Yvette
Sean
AmberLynn
Adelaide
Amy
Lisa
Amber



Links
Friends and Families
My Veg*n Blog

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Previous Posts
Put on your big girl panties
My kids are geeks
Shhhh...don't tell my hubby
Come on people, your kids POOP in them!
It sure would be nice if my husband came home
Oh the joys of a two year old
Do you want to know what makes me insanely happy?
Wow, that last one was long
Random funnies from the past
Being a mom is hard work!



Tuesday, September 18, 2007

It's been confirmed

Throughout this blog I've mentioned how I feel like I'm nothing more than a mom...that I've completely lost my identity. I've mentioned how I feel like I'm no longer "Katie," just a mom. Deep down I've always hoped that wasn't true. I've always hoped that I just wasn't feeling "fulfilled" or maybe I was just bored. Surely others viewed me as "Katie," right? Surely people like me as a person and see me as a person, right? Apparently not. If you can't rely on your spouse to tell you how it is, who can you rely on...I suppose. Apparently Drake failed to show up at husband school the day the"Do these jeans make my butt look big? and other things you should never speak truthfully of" lesson was taught.

I was invited to the birthday party of a friend of mine. I consider this friend one of my closest friends. We've been friends for over 18 years. However, our lives are nothing alike. They have taken completely different paths. I was telling Drake that while I wanted to attend the party, I was afraid I would be uncomfortable because I don't know any of his friends and they aren't the type of people I usually hang out with. We talked a bit about the reasons I wanted to go and the reasons I didn't want to go. Drake said, "You'll be among all the Hollywood types," (That's where he lives and where the party is...and the business he is in) "and you'll be the woman with six kids...just like you always are."

I just sat there...shocked that he would say that. I always knew that was how I felt, but I never knew for sure that it was true. I had really hoped that I was an interesting person. I had really hoped that when I went places with Drake that his friends thought of me as a friend as well. I had really hoped that people were genuinely interested in me as a person. Apparently not though. Apparently I really am just the woman with six kids. Not even my husband thinks I can be anything more than that.


link | Katie posted at 11:24 PM |


2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous commented at 9:35 AM~  

I'm not sure, but I've always thought of you as Katie, and not the woman with 6 kids and one on the way (I'm playing the odds). I'm not sure if I've never seen you in that particular environment, but I don't really associate you with your kids. I know you as Katie, whose sarcastic, insightful, and funny. I know you as Katie who sometimes takes a while to write on my blog, but when you do, it is usually worth it. I know you as Katie who is tight with her family and would be happier drinking the Starbucks of Northern California than the Starbucks of Southern California.

Honestly, when I think about you, I sometimes forget that you have a zillion kids.

Blogger Liz Allman commented at 6:18 AM~  

Katie, you just have to start seeing your kids as the inevitable extention of who you are. Everyone who knows you well probably always knew that you would have a bunch of kids because you are a caring, nurturing, fun loving person. Lots of kids are the result of that, not the other way around.

I found it shocking how many of my friends were upset by the fact the fact that I stayed at home. I assumed that anyone who knew me well knew that I was a type A, conscientious person who would never feel comfortable leaving my child in a daycare. The kid didn't make me that way, it was who I already was.

Want to Post a Comment?