My Photo Name:Katie
Location:
San Diego, California, United States
View my complete profile



Friends
Yvette
Sean
AmberLynn
Adelaide
Amy
Lisa
Amber



Links
Friends and Families
My Veg*n Blog

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Previous Posts
Slings 'n' Things
A pic from the side
We Did It!
The Newest Addition to the Silva Family
Oh my gosh, is it possible?
MIL is coming
Cloth Diaper Woes
I DID IT!
Fourth of July Fun
I'm almost finished!



Monday, July 18, 2005

Out and About with my Pouch

So, yesterday we went to visit with my father in law. We had a nice visit, although I think the kids drove him crazy. To me, it's normal, so I tend to forget that not everyone is used to four kids talking at once...all....day...long. LOL

So anyways, we went out to IHOP for dinner (the kid's choice, not mine...although the stuffed french toast is one of my secret sinful pleasures ;) ) and I took Ethan in the sling. He wasn't about to let Sera go in it! I got quite a few looks. San Diego DEFINITELY is not a baby wearing area! Then later, Drake and I went to get some sushi (definitely my choice!) and I got quite a few more looks while carrying Sera in it. I don't feel awkward wearing it, so I know people are actually staring and it's not just in my mind. Only one person approached me about it though. She merely came up, smiled and commented on how comfortable Sera looked. It couldn't have been because she was sound asleep :)

It amazes me how many people come up to me when I'm wearing the baby to ask me about the sling. It especially amazes me that there are so many people who have never even heard of a sling! The pouch I can understand...it's not as common as the ring sling, but I thought everyone had seen a sling at least once. I was completely wrong! Then again, I'm living in the area where people stare at me like I'm the most disgusting thing that ever walked the planet when I nurse the baby in public...even if covered up by a blanket! I mean, my goodness, you're seeing less of my skin when I'm nursing than when I'm not! (Well, when I actually cover up anyways...I eventually stopped that. Why be uncomfortable trying to be TOTALLY discreet when you're going to get the same reaction from people as you do being as discreet as possible without using a hot blanket!)

I remember one time I was at the county fair with my mom. It was over 100* outside. Emma got hungry, so I sat down to nurse her. My mom looked over and said, "You're not going to use a blanket?" I said, "Heck no, it's super hot! Poor Emma would overheat if I put a blanket over her!" She said, "But everyone will know what you're doing!" I laughed and said, "So what? Besides, it's not like everyone wouldn't know what I was doing if I was covered from neck to waist with a blanket in this heat!" Really, I show NO skin when I'm nursing...what does a blanket add? All it really does is scream, "Hey, look at me, I've got a baby attached to my breast!" When I'm nursing without the blanket it often looks like the baby is just sleeping.


link | Katie posted at 8:52 AM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?