My Photo Name:Katie
Location:
San Diego, California, United States
View my complete profile



Friends
Yvette
Sean
AmberLynn
Adelaide
Amy
Lisa
Amber



Links
Friends and Families
My Veg*n Blog

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Previous Posts
Things that make me happy
Selfish blood donor
Calgon...take me away
Disneyland, here we come!
ARGH!!!!!
On a brighter note
Father's Day
Tae Kwon Do Tournament
I'm an old fogey :(
Just feeling "off"



Saturday, July 15, 2006

Contemplating Mortality

So, today I found out that a good friend of my family's passed away. He was our next door neighbor for many many years, the father of my younger brother's best friend and just an all around great guy. This morning, his wife woke up, got out of bed as she does every morning, went out to the living room to see what her husband was up to, and found his body on the couch. He was dressed for the day and everything. He just sat down and died. He wasn't sick. There was no tragic accident. He just died. I'm not sure how old he was, but I'm guessing late fifties. He was in really good health. He was really active. His dad is still alive and his mom lived a very long life. Nothing could have prepared anyone for this.

This, of course, led me to thinking of my own mortality and that of my spouse. What would I do if I woke up one morning only to find out that my husband was gone? How could I possibly cope with something like that? You think that it's so far away and you don't want to think about it, but really, it could happen at any time and with absolutely no warning. I hate how fragile life is and the uncertainty that comes with it. Any fluke thing can take someone you love away from you. It all just seems unfair at times.

Anyways, there's my Debbie Downer post for the day :(


link | Katie posted at 10:02 PM |


2 Comments:
Blogger Sean commented at 2:51 PM~  

Hey wait! my dad is in his late 50's.

Thanks for that downer.

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 10:10 PM~  

Losing a spouse can knock you out for a long time. It took me over a year to become reasonably alive after my wife died. Since death is part of nature, BOTH you and your husband should plan for losing the other and do the necessary financial and practical things that will make things a little easier. Since my wife and I knew she was going to die, we were debt free and she had been a nurse, we were able to minimise the practical problems which made the emotional problems easier. Life insurance and keeping up your skills Kate, in case you have to go back to work, are important. You can find other suggestions at the LDS Provident Living web site [an EXCELLENT site with LOTS of good info].

Take care of yourself, Jim

Want to Post a Comment?