My Photo Name:Katie
Location:
San Diego, California, United States
View my complete profile



Friends
Yvette
Sean
AmberLynn
Adelaide
Amy
Lisa
Amber



Links
Friends and Families
My Veg*n Blog

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Previous Posts
Calgon...take me away
Disneyland, here we come!
ARGH!!!!!
On a brighter note
Father's Day
Tae Kwon Do Tournament
I'm an old fogey :(
Just feeling "off"
Getting old :(
Wild Animal Park



Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Selfish blood donor

I donate blood. I do this every eight weeks. I usually go through the Red Cross. A coworker of Drake's emailed the whole office and told them that they should go donate blood on a certain day because that day the San Diego blood bank was giving out free meals at Pat and Oscars if you donate blood that day. So, he went. Not only did he get a free meal, he also got a free all day pass to Boomers and a DOUGHNUT!!!! When I give blood, I just get Cheezits or a small bag of crackers or soemthing. He got a DOUGHNUT!!! I was horribly jealous. lol So, I decided this next time I was going through the San Diego Blood Bank instead of the Red Cross so I could get free stuff. Yes, I realize I should do this selflessly and that so many people can benefit from my blood donations, but gosh darn it, no matter where I go to give blood, it will go to helping someone out, right? Can you sense that I feel a tad bit guilty about switching from the red cross to the blood bank just so I can get free stuff and a doughnut?

So, anyways, today was my first day I was eligible to donate blood again (you can only donate every 56 days). So, I went to a San Diego blood bank mobile and donated. I got a free meal to Souplantation, a free Hornblower Cruise, a free oil change, but get this...NO DOUGHNUT!!!!! Seriously, the main reason I did it was for the doughnut. LOL Goes to show that being selfish won't get you very far. :( I did eat my free meal, which sadly, wasn't that great, but hey, it was food. I probably won't use my free cruise because going alone sounds boring and I can't afford to take the whole family. I go to the dealer to get my oil changed, so I don't need that. So, basically, I got a free mediocre meal and the guilt that comes with being selfish when doing somethign that is supposed to be selfless. Karma and all that.

Oh, let's not forget the fact that donating blood has NEVER affected me before and this time I was feeling all dizzy and nauseous when I was done and I bled like crazy, which also never happens. Lovely.

I'll still be going through the San Diego blood bank from now on. I'm bound to get something good eventually. LOL


link | Katie posted at 4:13 PM |


4 Comments:
Blogger Unknown commented at 10:27 PM~  

Katie, you make me laugh so much LOL

Maybe I'll go with you next time you go. I am deathly afraid of needles but I know it's a good thing to do. That and I didn't know you got free stuff! I want a free meal & an oil change. We're making this girls day out next time :)

Blogger Katie commented at 11:32 AM~  

I'm signed up again for September 1st. It's at Carls Jr. in Mira Mesa. I'm hoping for a free burger or something. If they have one around the same time at someplace better, I'll probably switch appointments though. ;)

Blogger Sean commented at 1:34 PM~  

I am not allowed to donate. One of the things I loved about Krista was that not only did she have a rare blood type, but she donated every 60 days. I am alive because of people like Krista and you who donate blood (I had three transfussions before I was 5).

However, I can eat donuts any time I want. Even though Rexburg doesn't have a donut only store, we do have two grocery stores that carry donuts - and thanks to you, Katie, I went to the grocery store three times this week to eat donuts because of your blog in my head.

Thanks a lot (a sarcastic "thanks for the donuts blocking my arteries & and a very sincere thanks for the blood that has kept me alive and sustained my mother for so much longer than she would have.)!

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 1:36 PM~  

Good for you! that rocks...now if only everyone would take blood donation seriously...we wouldn't have such a shortage.

I found this cool site that has tons of blood donation places listed. http://bloodbanker.com

Want to Post a Comment?