My Photo Name:Katie
Location:
San Diego, California, United States
View my complete profile



Friends
Yvette
Sean
AmberLynn
Adelaide
Amy
Lisa
Amber



Links
Friends and Families
My Veg*n Blog

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Previous Posts
And he's off
Been a while
It's been a little while
My future as a home invader
Is this not the cutest face in the whole wide world?
Exercise
Keeping with the theme
FAtkins
Hats and things
Hmmmm



Thursday, January 12, 2006

Boobs, boobs, boobs

So, what's the U.S.'s big sexual hangup with breasts? Why is it that people feel compelled to tell women that they are not allowed to breastfeed their children in spot X, Y, or Z and that they should go to the bathroom to do it. Would you eat your lunch in a bathroom? I sure as heck wouldn't. There are all kinds of nasty things in there. I try to avoid public restrooms at all costs and am really anal (wow, what a terrible pun when talking about bathrooms) when it comes to making sure my children and I don't touch anything in a public restroom. So, why on earth should we expect people to EAT in there? Now, that's just gross.

So, this woman in Michigan was told that she couldn't breastfeed her baby poolside at the local YMCA. It was said that the rule was "No food or drinks allowed" so she had to leave if she was going to feed the baby. Now, I ask you, do you think a woman feeding her baby a bottle would have been asked to leave? I highly doubt it. Of course, this has the pro breastfeeding people up in arms screaming that women should have to right to feed their baby whenever, wherever and however they please and the anti breastfeeding "Oh, but I think it's fine for a woman to breastfeed as long as I don't have to see it" people screaming that they have rights and they don't think it's appropriate to breastfeed a baby in public because...well, I don't know why, they're just dumb. Hey, this is my blog and I'll call it as I see it ;)

So, here's my take on it. Women should have the right to feed their infants breastmilk or formula from any semi spill proof container, anywhere she damn well pleases, unless it poses a threat to the baby, or people around her. (I'm not fond of the whole nursing while you're driving thing ;) ) NO ONE should be forced to eat in a bathroom. NO ONE should feel like they can't leave the house because they might not make it home in time to feed the baby at home. NO ONE should be made to feel uncomfortable when they are doing what is best for their baby. Granted, if it's someone's private home, I feel they have the right to ask their guests to do anything they want and ask any guest who refuses to leave. However, in a public setting, I feel that breastfeeding should be allowed.

Are all women discreet while breastfeeding? No. I acknowledge that. I've been in situations where women are practically topless while breastfeeding. Yes, I'll admit, I was a bit uncomfortable in that situation...especially since I was talking to the women while they were doing it, but that is my own hangup. Breasts may be sexual things, but their primary function is nourishing children. It's what they were made for. It's only in the U.S. that people have issues with breastfeeding women. Is it any wonder that more and more women aren't even attempting to breastfeed their children? People are uncomfortable with breastfeeding because they see breasts as primarily sexual objects. If our culture would just shift it's views, I believe that more children would be breastfed. Breastfeeding is SO good for the child! Breastmilk is the PERFECT food for a baby. In fact, it changes just to suit each particular child. I could go on for pages about the wonders of breastmilk, but I'll spare you that and comment on the things I find most interesting:

1. Studies have been done that have shown that women in cold climates have more fat in their breastmilk than women in temperate climates. This allows the baby to ingest more fat and store more fat to keep them warm. Women in hot climates produce less fat and more water in their breastmilk.

2. If your child only nurses for short sessions, you will produce fattier foremilk so that the baby gets the nutrition it needs in a shorter amount of time than a baby who nurses for longer.

3. When you are sick, your milk is full of antibodies that will help keep the baby from getting sick.

4. As the baby gets older, the contents of your milk change to suit the needs of an older child

Now really, can you say that formula does ANY of that? Yet, it's considered normal to feed children formula, and "gross" to breastfeed them.

Don't get me wrong. All of my children have had formula at one time or another. I think formula is wonderful for people who cannot breastfeed for one reason or another. I just think that breastfeeding should be considered "normal" and formula should be considered sub par and what you use when you can't breastfeed. However, if people are constantly told that breastfeeding should be hidden and something you should only do in private, yet it's fine to formula feed wherever and whenever you want to, it's no wonder that more and more women choose to never even attempt to breastfeed their child.

So really, what's the hangup with boobs? Why is it that people are so offended by a woman breastfeeding? I'd SO much rather see a little boob than listen to a hungry baby scream! Boobs, boobs, boobs. She's feeding a baby, not walking around rubbing her bare nipples or something!


link | Katie posted at 12:25 AM |


1 Comments:
Blogger Unknown commented at 5:14 PM~  

Wow, good post Katie! I agree with everything you said. I always find it so weird IRL when people were shocked that I bf my daughter. I thought it was completely normal but people looked at me so funny when I even mentioned breastfeeding.

Want to Post a Comment?